Why Does Mature Skin Need A Change Of Foundation?
As you get older, your skin changes. Menopause, hormonal changes, and reduced natural oil production can dry out your skin, which can lead to the appearance of those laugh lines and wrinkles. Aging skin is also prone to redness and irritation due to hormonal changes.
Foundation is a perfect makeup product whether you want to enhance your complexion or conceal your flaws. It helps in minimizing the pore size and gives your skin an even tone and radiance. However, application mistakes and aging skin may make foundations settle into the fine lines.
10 Tips To Get Your Face ‘Foundation Ready’.
- Not cleansing the skin properly makes it uneven and that makes the foundation settle into fine lines on the face. A proper cleansing routine before makeup application is mandatory as it helps in removing excess oil and evens out the skin. Cleansed skin helps foundation to spread evenly.
- Not moisturizing your skin before applying the foundation will make your skin rough. The lack of moisture in the skin will not let your foundation spread evenly and will let it settle into the lines as well. If your foundation gets settled into the fine lines, use an extra hydrating moisturizer.
- Use a good primer before applying foundation as it fills up the fine lines and pores to provide you a smooth base. Thus, primers not only make your makeup last longer but also prevent your foundations from settling into them.
- Foundations with light formula do not get accumulated into fine lines because of the facial movements. Choose sheer to medium coverage foundations as they will not get settled into the wrinkles. In case you wish to use a heavier formula, mix it with a small amount of moisturizer to make it thoroughly blendable.
- Always try to use a lesser quantity of foundation than usual. The more quantity you use the more it will settle into fine line, and wrinkles.
- Blending the foundation properly prevents it from settling into the lines on your face. If the foundation is blended well, it will spread evenly reducing the chance of it getting accumulated into the fine lines.
- With the help of a lightweight setting powder, you can achieve a creaseless foundation look. If your setting powder is not light enough, it will make the foundation heavier, which will make it settle into the lines.
- The lightest and thinnest application of makeup should be where the skin is the thinnest — i.e, your forehead, around the eyes, and bridge of the nose. Use the pointed tip of the sponge to blend out the foundation around your nose and eyes. You can go a little heavier on the rest of your face. However, it’s best not to use very heavy makeup as it ends up looking cakey and dry and gets settled into the creases of the face.
- It is also very important to keep note of the expiry date for your facial products and discard them timely. The average expiration date for a foundation is usually 12 months.
- It is of critical importance to take off your makeup before sleeping, no matter how tired you are. Thoroughly washing your face is essential before getting into bed.
The main issue that arises when using foundation on mature skin is that foundation does not go on smoothly. And on mature skin, the finish is of utmost importance. The foundation you’ve been using last few years may not work anymore and need an upgrade. It’s now time to invest in a foundation formulated for your specific skin.
How To Choose The Right Foundation
The most important thing to keep in mind when choosing a foundation for mature skin is the product’s texture. It’s best not to use thick, matte or mineral foundations. As they tend to have a higher powder content.
Hoppingo approached Shivani Arora, a Delhi based make-up artist for her recommendations on the texture that would work well for mature skin. She says, it is best to opt for a medium or light formula designed specifically for mature skin. It needs to be thinner and lighter. You need to look for options which tend to include words like “hydrating,” ‘moisturizing”, “luminous,” “build-able coverage,” and “weightless” on their labels.
There are now foundations available in the market which are infused with ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, which are known to lock moisture into the skin, preventing cakey lines from developing. The Light formulation will glide over rough-textured skin, concealing fine lines and wrinkles while adding a glow to your face.
If you want to wear something lighter than a foundation during the summer, you have three options: tinted moisturizer, BB cream and CC cream. Tinted moisturizers are the lightest and most sheer of the three. BB cream is also light, but has more pigment.
Summers and winters – different seasons might mean different foundations. In summers, our skin tone tends to be slightly darker as we tan while in winters, it is paler. So, it might be time to switch your foundation.
Foundations with different formulas, liquid, creams, and sticks all work well—it just depends on the texture that you like.
Luckily, there is enough choice of foundations for mature skin available in the market today. Each one offers a unique blend of benefits for your skin concern, whether it is wrinkles, dullness, enlarged pores, or age spots. Many are enriched with the very same age-defying ingredients that are commonly found in your anti-aging serums and moisturizers—such as hyaluronic acid and vitamin C—to improve texture and tone while providing the coverage for a flawless complexion.
Correct Shade Selection
This is one of the most common mistakes with foundations. Women with fair skin assume that the lightest foundation is perfect for them and they buy it without even trying. So no matter what your skin tone or skin type is, it is important to check the foundation shade thoroughly. If your makeup is too light, you will look ghastly or as if you have a clay cast on your skin. If the formula is too dark, it can make your complexion look dull. Look for the shade that matches your skin tone the most. When in doubt, always go for the lighter one.
Why Do Foundations Oxidize
At times, some foundations oxidize after setting so it’s always a good idea to have a trial. This tends to happen after a few minutes because of the heat from the skin, causing it to turn slightly orange. To prevent this from happening, it is important to try a foundation and wait for around 5-10 minutes to see how the foundation will truly appear after it has oxidized. The foundation that seemed to match earlier might suddenly turn darker. So, the next time you’re at the store trying out foundation, try some on your jawbone and give it some time to settle in before you make your decision.
Foundation oxidization may also be a good indicator to Balance your Skin’s pH Levels. (pH stands for potential hydrogen). An acidic pH level can make your foundation look darker during the day. An alkaline pH level makes your skin dry and sensitive.
The optimal pH value of skin on most of our face lies between 4.7 and 5.75. A pH of 7 (that of pure water) is considered neutral. . pH is a term used to describe the acid-alkaline ratio. The ideal pH balance should be 5.5. pH levels can be checked with a pH meter available for a free trial at select skin care stores or your dermatologist. Another easy way to check your skin’s pH levels is to test your saliva. You can try pH Ion Balance Strips. Simply dip a strip into your saliva and get an instant reading of your internal pH.
Know Your Skin Tones
Skin tones are split into three main categories – Light, medium, and deep. In the global context, Indians, mostly, have a medium skin tone. Caucasians have light, while Africans have deep. Medium skin tone can be further sub-divided into beige, tan, honey, etc. If you are using the wrong shade of foundation, then it can make your face look darker or lighter than usual. So, it is important to know your undertones before choosing a foundation.
Know your Undertones
Skin undertone refers to the tone of the skin from underneath its surface. Skin undertones are of three types – warm, neutral and cool. To identify your skin undertone, here is what you can do,
- The wrist test: If your veins are purple or blue in color then you are cool. If they are green in color, you are warm. But if you are unable to determine the dominant color, you are neutral.
- The sun test: You have a cool undertone if you turn red in the sun. However, if you get tanned easily you have a warm undertone.
Start by shortlisting two shades that seem to be a good match. Then, dab some of each shade on your jawline. Do the same on the neck. The foundation you choose should blend with both your face and your neck.
How do you apply foundation for mature skin
No matter which type of foundation you’re using, it’s important to start your makeup routine with proper moisturizing.
When it comes to mature or aging skin, it’s best to apply foundation using a sponge by using a patting motion. Application with a brush or your fingers can cause the skin to stretch and once it bounces back, it carries the makeup with it causing it to settle into your fine lines and wrinkles.
We spoke to Shivani Arora and a few other make-up experts and compiled a list of the 10 best foundations for mature skin. The list consists of foundations that match every budget so that there’s a perfect match for you.
1. Makeup Forever Ultra HD foundation.
Shivani says, “Makeup forever Ultra HD Foundation has Superior blend-ability, has a light weight natural finish and medium build able coverage that works wonders on skin with wrinkles, fine lines, dullness and age spots”. It has a wide shade range with a variety of neutral, yellow, and pink undertones.
2. Bobbi brown Skin Foundation Stick
Shivani finds Bobbi brown Skin Foundation Stick’s weightless formulas blends in seamlessly for coverage that looks like skin. Formulated with a blend of moisturizing ingredients like Olive Extract and Shea Butter, the formula moisturizes wherever skin is dry.
3. L’oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation
Infallible Pro Glow Foundation With SPF: this foundation is Lightweight and creamy, with a medium-coverage that goes on smoothly and gives a perfect finish. The hydrating foundation with SPF is ideal for normal to dry skin
4. Diorskin Nude Air Serum Foundation
If you don’t mind splurging for your skin, Diorskin Nude Air Serum Foundation is worth it. Available in eight shades, this serum foundation leaves your skin with an airbrushed finish.
This high-end foundation features an exclusive built-in anti-aging serum called Oxygen Activ technology, a blend of hyper-oxygenated oil, cranberry oil, vitamins, and minerals that brush away imperfections. Shivani feels, it produces an even-looking complexion with an amazing airbrushed effect. The formula is so thin and weightless that you will forget it’s even there.
Available at Kiwla.com and Christian Dior stores.
5. L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect Radiant Serum Foundation with SPF 50
This carefully formulated foundation for mature skin is made with Vitamin B3 and Hydrating Serum; It provides lightweight coverage for sensitive skin along with Spf 50 Protection. This foundation doesn’t settle into lines.
6. Maybelline Dream Radiant Liquid
Liquid Foundation: Experience a medium coverage with this lightweight foundation with hyaluronic acid and collagen. It moisturizes the skin for a radiant, natural look.
Hydrating Formula: It delivers up to 12 hours of hydration, and is perfect for dry skin. , this new formula comes in 20 different shades and provides smooth and even-looking skin.
7. Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Longwear Foundation
“This hybrid skincare-foundation contains Charlotte Tilbury’s magic matrix of ingredients, including the groundbreaking Magic REPLEXIUM® to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. The hydrating, lightweight formula is sweat-proof, humidity-proof, waterproof, and transfer-resistant”.
This foundation doesn’t settle into fine lines. While it does have a matte finish, it won’t cake or crease, and is made with skin-care ingredients that help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Plus, it provides an immediate cooling feeling, making it perfect for the summer months.
Available at Nykaa.com
8. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Tint
“Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Tint applies flawlessly while instantly quenching skin with hyaluronic acid. It’s moisturizing formula,leaves skin so hydrated it looks smooth and fresh all day. Plus, it moisturizes and plumps skin for 24 hours for coverage your skin will love.it is oil free and non-comedogenic and doesn’t settle into fine lines”.
Available at Amazon.in
9. MAC Studio Waterweight SPF 30 Foundation
“This water-based foundation contains a Moisture-Fusion Complex to immediately hydrate the skin, while delivering colour in an ultra-fluid formula. This MAC fluid foundation protects with SPF 30 and is appropriate for all facial skin types (oily to dry). It offers sheer-to-medium coverage in stay-true color for up to 24 hours of wear”.
Available at Amazon.in and all MAC stores.
10. Estée Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue Moisturizing Foundation SPF 45
This foundation is made with chia seed extract and soothing probiotic technology that helps to reduce redness and irritation while hydrating and protecting the skin. It offers full yet breathable coverage, and is proven to stay on for 12 hours without ever smudging or flaking.
Available at Shoppersstop and all Estee Lauder stores.
You can now choose the perfect Foundation for your skin and Look your best at any age!
Here is what Shivani recommends,
Take a Look At Some Celebrity Beauty Brands
For some celebrities, getting into the beauty business after a successful fashion, singing and acting career, is a natural move. There are two ways celebrities make a niche for themselves in the beauty industry – they either collaborate with other beauty giants to launch their own makeup line or independently start their own beauty business. Since they already have a large fan following, most of their beauty products sell like hotcakes as soon as they launch.
Let’s take a quick look at some foundations launched by celebrities in their Beauty Brands.
- Kay Beauty Hydrating Foundation with Hyloronic acid.
In partnership with Nykaa, Katrina Kaif launched her very own beauty brand called Kay Beauty.
2. Kylie Matt Liquid Foundation.
By Kylie Jenner
Rihanna created Fenty Beauty
Huda Beauty by Huda Kattan
5. Rare Beauty Liquid Touch Weightless Foundation
Rare Beauty is a Beauty Brand created by Selena Gomez launched in 2020. It is not available in India at the moment.
Take A Look At Some Amazing MakeUp Tech
Finding the Right Match Literally-Using Artificial Intelligence
Blessedly, beauty companies are offering more digital solutions than ever to help us find our perfect foundation.
- Sephora’s online shade finder assessment uses data from your current brand and shade to match you with other brands and shades in their extensive lineup.
- Make Up For Ever’s interactive Shade Finder uses artificial intelligence to match you to your perfect shade using your device’s camera.
- ILIA recently launched an enhanced version of their shade finder tool, incorporating user generated content to help consumers find their best shade.